Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I had a whole bunch of apples recently and needed to use them up so I took a zucchini bread recipe that I had and switched it up a but. What I got is a yummy, moist and healthy quick bread made from apples.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups apples, grated (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In small bowl combine wet ingredients, egg whites, vanilla, applesauce and apples.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and spread evenly—sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or streusel topping if desired.
- Bake 35-45 minutes.
This is a GORGEOUS bread! It is so moist and flavorful and the cinnamon really sets it off! I used about double the amount of apples and reduced the sugar by half and that way it had a lovely fruity sweetness. It came together very quickly and easily and tasted just yummy! Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe! I will surely make this often again!
I added another teaspoon of cinnamon in the bread and used the sugar/cinnamon topping. It took longer to bake than the recipe says; mine took 45-50 minutes at 350 F. I thought the texture was a bit strange like other recipes that lack any fat in them. The bread was a bit rubbery. Some fat also has a keeping quality; no fat and it stales quickly. Next time I will add about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and perhaps an extra egg. The flavor of the bread is quite good. I might also add some pecans.
This bread was awesome!! I used three large apples pureed in my food processor and left out the applesauce (because I didn't have any) and it turned out fine. Mine did need to bake longer. The cinnamon/brown sugar topping was excellent.