Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
This rich, supremely chocolatey, moist pound cake is so simple and yet so impressive, especially when frosted with my Salted Caramel Frosting, which perfectly complements the dense sweetness of the cake. If you have any leftovers, don't refrigerate, just leave tightly covered at room temperature.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk (see note for substitute)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for five minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve coffee granules in hot water, combine with buttermilk, set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating just until blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Remove from oven and cool 20 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Cool completely before frosting, or sprinkling with confectioners' sugar.
- NOTE: to make a buttermilk substitute, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a measuring cup, add milk until it reached the 1 cup mark. Let stand for 5 minutes, and use as buttermilk!
Beautiful cake that was super delicious. The directions were perfect and the cake turned out amazing. The only reason I give it a 4 star instead of a 5 star review is that I find the amount of sugar in the recipe to be a bit excessive (3 cups!). I did half the amount when I made the cake, but also feel perfectly comfortable to only use a third next time I make it :)
This cake is outstanding!!!! The moistness and rich chocolate
flavor are impeccable. By far, for my cake decorating clients,
the most popular cake!
Moist is right! I think it was the most moist pound cake I have ever made. I think the addition of the coffee gave it more of a gourmet touch. I made it in a bundt pan and drizzled with a homemade caramel sauce. I made it for a co-workers birthday and it was well received.