Recipe by koko-girl
A simple and yummy way to satisfy your chocolate thirst! Kinda like a brownie but lighter and not as rich. It's great for breakfast or anytime you feel like :) To lower the fat content, opt for light margarine instead of butter!
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
These are the most moist and tastiest light muffins I've ever made!! I can't tell you how tempting even the batter was while mixing everything together. I licked the bowl(confession, lol) clean towards the end;) For the chocolate yogurt, I bought Hazelnut Yogurt from the store and used 10 1/8 tbsps. of it. It's the yummiest chocolate yogurt I've had till date. After searching in quite a few places, I couldn't get unsweetened chocolate anywhere, and as a substitute, I used 63 gms. of Kit-Kat chocolate(that was three 2-finger bars). I followed your advice and used light margarine instead of butter for lowering the fat content. Since my oven does not have a 175C mark(with reference to step 1), I pre-heated my oven to 180C and proceeded with the recipe. You've forgotten to mention about adding essence in the method of the recipe. I added in the vanilla essence in step 11. The muffins were ready in 20 minutes and I found that step 23 wasn't required. The muffins were soo soft and tasty. Removing them from the muffin cups was quite an adventure and I felt like a muffin doctor (because of the tender way in which I removed them from the muffin cups, taking care that they do not break) :) Very tasty muffins and a winning recipe that I enjoyed making as part of "Pick Your Chef" contest here on Recipezaar! Thank you so much, Koko girl, for sharing these! I'm soooooooooo glad I picked you!
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain unbleached flour or 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (just to add a bit fiber)
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (150 ml) container chocolate yogurt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I use Hershey's)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 medium egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Remember to preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius before starting.
- In a large/medium bowl mix in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt).
- Melt the butter/margarine with the 2 ounces of chocolate in the microwave in another bowl.
- Should take around 30-40 seconds depending on the type of microwave.
- (Check after 30 seconds and add on the time if not melted).
- When melted, take out the bowl and slowly (becareful to not spill the liquid) blend together the chocolate and butter/margarine until well mixed.
- Make sure no chocolate is left stuck at the bottom of the bowl.
- Set aside and let it cool for 1 minute.
- When cooled, combine the chocolate yogurt into the same bowl and carefully mix them together until the liquid is quick thick.
- If the bowl is not large enough, transfer this mixture to a slight bigger one.
- Afterwards, add in the sugar and mix well.
- Pour this wet mixture into the flour mixture and slowly blend the two together.
- Do not over mix.
- The result should be quick sticky and thick.
- Leave it aside.
- Now in separate bowl, beat the egg whites until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the flour's thick mixture until well blended.
- But again, don't overmix to let the air escape from the mixture.
- Spoon batter equally into the muffin tins (12).
- Bake for around 20 minutes.
- Check the readiness by poking a toothpick into a muffin nearest you.
- If the center comes out clean then it's done.
- If not, bake for another 5-10 minutes.