Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a recipe I adapted from the internet. For buttermilk add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to a 1 cup measuring cup and add milk to the 1 cup mark, stir and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure you grease and flour the bundt pan well or it will stick.
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml cocoa
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 177.44 ml butter, melted
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 9.85 ml instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside.
- In the large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in coffee after it has cooled on low setting until completely incorporated. Note: the batter will now be VERY runny, this is normal.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake on second rack from the bottom of oven for 40 to 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 45 minutes to an hour on wire rack before removing from bundt pan.
- Apply frosting of choice.
The batter is way too much for one bundt cake. Good thing I put a pan under it or my oven would be a disaster....It is still baking but the overflow is terrible. I will edit and add a flavor review once it cools. Edited to add! It was the best tasting cake I have ever had!!!
Thanks to previous reviewer, I half filled a loaf pan before pouring the rest of the batter into my bundt. This is exactly the kind of cake I was looking for: dense, moist, not overly sweet and melts in your mouth. I made it the night before a dinner party we were invited to, glazed it with a chocolate ganache and topped with mini chocolate chips. I recommend letting it sit in the fridge for a full day, it only improved the texture. Also, don't attempt to use baking spray on your cake pan. I did not get as good results turning out the loaf cake I used spray with but the bundt i greased and floured, left to sit 30 mins after baking and it slid out perfectly.
I just baked this cake. So easy to make. I only used 1 cup of sugar and I used canola oil instead of the butter. It took 50 minutes to bake. I was afraid of having a mess in my oven after reading the reviews about the batter being too much for a bundt pan but I didn't have any problems with mine. After removing my cake from the oven it sank a little, I don't like when this happens!!!! About the flavor is good even with just one cup of sugar. Next time I would make it with butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.