Recipe by Emmy's Mum
This recipe is a healthy choice because of the Whole Wheat Flour and it has less sugar than the average cupcake recipe. The Cocoa makes it chocolatey but doesn't mask the banana flavour. You can also add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and/or nuts! Don't tell your kids these are healthy, whole-wheat and low in sugar...they'll NEVER know! :o)
Top Review by zachope
Although not your traditional cupcake, I'm giving these 5 stars. They turned out very moist for whole wheat and I served them the same day. (usually I gotta wait a day to get that moisture out of whole grains) I used bananas that I had frozen when they started to go bad and topped with cream cheese icing and otherwise follow the directions. They turned out moist and spice cakey. I might eliminate the cinn and nutmeg next time to see if they turn out more cupcakey instead of muffiny. This recipe will deff stay in my recipe book though. Thanks for posting.
- 3 bananas, Ripe
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, Melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground, if possible)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa (not the sugary stuff, REAL cocoa)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender combine the first 7 ingredients. Liquify.
- In a bowl combine the Baking Powder, Whole Wheat Flour, and Cocoa.
- Add the liquefied contents of the blender to the bowl, mix until well-integrated. Do not overmix or you'll risk tough and breadlike cupcakes.
- Grease muffin tins (or use paper liners).
- Fill each Muffin tin to 3/4 full.
- Pop into preheated oven and quickly close the door. After 8 minutes, turn the oven off. Leave the cupcakes in the oven for another 7 minutes (for a total of 15 minutes). Do not open the oven door until you are ready to remove the cupcakes at the 15 minut mark.
- If you are using paper liners, immediately turn the cupcakes out of the muffin tray. Otherwise, allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray, then remove.
- Eat as is, or cool before icing with your favorite icing recipe.
- Store in a tupperware container with room to breathe. If you won't eat it within a few days, wrap tightly in 3 layers of Saran Wrap and freeze.