1/1 Photo of Moist Chocolate Banana Whole Wheat Cupcakes
Emmy's Mum's Note:
This recipe is a healthy choice because of the Whole Wheat Flour and it has less sugar than the average cupcake recipe. The Cocoa makes it chocolatey but doesn't mask the banana flavour. You can also add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and/or nuts! Don't tell your kids these are healthy, whole-wheat and low in sugar...they'll NEVER know! :o)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 bananas, Ripe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, Melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground, if possible)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa (not the sugary stuff, REAL cocoa)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a blender combine the first 7 ingredients. Liquify.
- 3In a bowl combine the Baking Powder, Whole Wheat Flour, and Cocoa.
- 4Add the liquefied contents of the blender to the bowl, mix until well-integrated. Do not overmix or you'll risk tough and breadlike cupcakes.
- 5Grease muffin tins (or use paper liners).
- 6Fill each Muffin tin to 3/4 full.
- 7Pop into preheated oven and quickly close the door. After 8 minutes, turn the oven off. Leave the cupcakes in the oven for another 7 minutes (for a total of 15 minutes). Do not open the oven door until you are ready to remove the cupcakes at the 15 minut mark.
- 8If you are using paper liners, immediately turn the cupcakes out of the muffin tray. Otherwise, allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray, then remove.
- 9Eat as is, or cool before icing with your favorite icing recipe.
- 10Store in a tupperware container with room to breathe. If you won't eat it within a few days, wrap tightly in 3 layers of Saran Wrap and freeze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moist Chocolate Banana Whole Wheat Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.3
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 93.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g