Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An ideal company or family dessert. No need for frosting. Nuts and coconut on top are covered with a caramel topping that soaks into the cake. MMMmmm! I found this recipe in Homemaker's magazine. Freezes excellently.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups undiluted evaporated milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups peeled cored chopped apples
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 20 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in large bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk, water, eggs and apples in medium bowl.
- Stir into dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Spread batter into greased 13 by 9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar then coconut and nuts over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or until done.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil if topping is becoming too brown.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 3/4 cup evaporated milk and caramels in small saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is smoothly combined.
- Pour evenly over hot cake.
- Cool completely before serving.