Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This cake is perfect for when you have guests over and need a yummy, no fuss cake that is sure to please many. I think this cake is quite versatile, so if you have other fruit on hand or want to use nuts instead of choc chips, go ahead, try it (but keep in mind that you might need to adjust the wet ingredients and/or the baking time). I hope youll enjoy this as much as my family and me do! :)
- 150 g flour (I used spelt flour)
- 50 g whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt)
- 50 g cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 g butter, softened (a reduced calorie one should work out fine)
- 50 g sugar (I subbed splenda)
- 2 small eggs
- 50 ml sparkling water (can sub milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 g prepared vanilla pudding (I used a soy dessert for this)
- 75 g mini chocolate chips (I used bittersweet)
- 1 cup cherries (fresh or canned, but if using fresh you need to pit them)
- In a big bowl combine flours, starch and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a second big bowl cream butter and sugar for 8 minutes (this is crucial, dont skip it).
- Add in eggs one by one and mix well.
- In a third bowl combine vanilla pudding, vanilla extract and sparkling water. Alternating with the flour mixture, add this to the butter and sugar mixture stirring to combine. Depending on which fruit youre using, you might need to add 1 tbs or so of milk here to get the right consistency.
- Fold in chocolate chips and cherries.
- Put dough into a prepared 1lb loaf pan and smooth top using a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 175°C/350°F for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check on the cake after 30 minutes and cover it with parchment paper if its getting too dark.