Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
This is a good fall recipe for apple season.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix (or sugar free)
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 12 cup fluted tube pan or 10 inch tube pan.
- Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed 2 minute Gently stir inapples. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 min to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 min.; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Microwave caramels and milk in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 min., stirring every 30 sec. until blended. Cool 10 minute until slightly thickened. Drizzle over cake.
This cake is great the way it is, although a little bland so what I did was substitute 1/2 of run for 1/2 cup of water and it really made a difference. I made this cake at Christmas and it was a big success. Please try this substitution and see what you think, although any liquor could be substituted.
It was very easy and moist, but I agree with other reviewers that it lacked something. I feel at the very least it could have used double the amount of apples, and some cinnamon or other spices.
It was very moist and easy but not enough apples or flavor.