Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Revised version!This makes a moist, yummy and filling bread pudding. Nothing for a lean cuisine! .
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 6 slices white bread
- Grease crock pot.
- If you decide to use raisins, plumb them in some water with 1 tsp rum.
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes.
- Beat butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, flavors and spices.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Drain raisins and sprinkle over bread cubes into pot.
- Pour the milk mix slowly over all the bread, making sure to moisten all pieces.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Do not lift the lid, while cooking!
- Let cool until room temp, as it will set and become "spongy".
- Best with thick vanilla sauce or a bourbon sauce.
It was... awful. In all my reviews this is only the second one in my 3 years with zaar that I've given 1 star. The flavors do NOT mix and it was just plan gross. I didn't taste enough of it for texture or anything else. Just 1 teaspoon for each person in my house yielded the "EW YUCK" reaction!!
Although I haven't tried this recipe yet, a quick read of the ingredients makes me think that scooter the bear might have a good point. (I'm not sure if the lemon and rum flavorings would mix well). It is however a great idea for the crock pot, so I think I will substitute either vanilla or butter extract for the lemon and leave out the raisins. Hopefully it will taste more like butter rum...YUM! I will update my review with the results.
This was just terrible tasting!The rum and vanilla and lemon and nutmeg/cinnamon just didn't combine well. It did gel wonderfully, texture was nice, but no one in the house wanted more after gagging down the initial serving except me, and I am just too scotch to throw it away.Sorry, but my advice is, uh-uh.