Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The yogurt and oil makes this cake moist! You can slice it in half to make a layer cake if desired. Don't grease the sides of the pan with cooking spray, the cake needs to cling to the sides as it bakes allowing it to rise higher. make certain that all ingredients are room temperature, the milk should be warm also, cake flour only for this!
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla yogurt (or use plain yogurt)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons gated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup warm milk (milk must be warm!)
- 4 egg whites (room temperature, save 3 yolks for another time)
- Set oven to 375 degrees (you will reduce the temperature after 10 minutes of baking).
- Spray bottom ONLY of a 10-inch round cake pan, then line bottom with wax paper then lightly dust with flour.
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl combine the yogurt with oil, orange rind, vanilla, orange extract and 1 egg yolk; beat for about 2 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup sugar; beat until thoroughly combined (about 4-5 minues no sugar granules should remain).
- Add in warm milk and beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl beat egg whites at high speed until foamy; gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Add the flour mixture and egg white mixture alternately to the yogurt mixture beating at low speed.
- Transfer the batter to prepared baking pan, then tap on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for about 28 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and turn out onto a wire rack.
- Peel off the wax paper and cool completely.