Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I've tried a lot of banana bread recipes and this is by far the best I've ever tasted! I found the recipe in the Utah Dining Car Cookbook by the Junior League of Ogden.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add the bananas, eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into the banana mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Add walnuts and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Very moist and delicious! I used half butter and half coconut oil and it tasted so good. Thanks!
My son has been bugging me for a while to try making apple crisp instead of pie. I finally gave in yesterday and made some. I also had 4 really ripe bananas from making banana bread the week before using a different recipe because I didn't have this recipe with me at the time. I decided-what the heck, make the crisp and the bread. Only this time I used this recipe for the bread. They were both done baking so (knowing the banana bread was going to be so so so good I attacked that one first, offering my son a piece. He was like, "no mom, that's okay." Then he stared at the piece and (as if under a banana bread spell), popped it in his mouth. Two minutes later he came downstairs with a huge hunk of banana bread, apple crisp still unsampled. Moist, dreamy, rich, crispy on top, this one's a winner. And I never used to like banana bread. ;-)
I used the ingredients but added a 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and put them in cupcake baking papers, set the oven at 375 degrees and baked for 20 minutes...hands down the best banana walnut chocolate chip muffins I've ever made. :) Thank you for the recipe! My family loved it!