Recipe by The Pantry Elf
Sweet, moist, delicious! Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or hot tea!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or juice from 1/2 of a medium orange)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and flax seeds.
- In another bowl, mix the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until creamy. Add the orange zest and juice and stir lightly.
- Slowly fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined, then add the nuts and banana, mixing until just combined. Try not to over mix.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted into middle of loaf comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to rack. Cool completely before glazing.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Combine the confectioner's sugar and orange and/or lemon juice. Stir until smooth. Pour over cooled bread.