Recipe by Nature's Cuisine
According to my mother, this is the "best" banana cake. It is very moist and flavorful. Everyone had several slices. A good way to use up those old bananas. I did some pretty substantial revisions to a Recipezaar posting, Simple Orange Banana Bundt Cake, so I chose to post my own.
- 5 overly-ripened bananas
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large orange, juice of
- 1 large orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 maraschino cherry
Serve al a mode
- breyers natural vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In food processor, puree bananas with cream cheese.
- Transfer to mixer. Add all of the following ingredients (except dates and nuts). Combine well.
- Stir in dates and nuts. Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (until toothpick comes out relatively clean-don't over bake!).
- Loosen from sides of pan then flip over on a cooling rack (leaving pan on top of cake to retain moisture). When completely cool, remove bundt pan.
- Glaze: Mix zest, juice and powdered sugar. Add enough milk to make a thick glaze. Pour over top of cake (the molded portion), allowing to drizzle down sides. Top with flaked coconut.
- Garnish: Transfer cake to a serving plate. Cut an orange in half (using a zig-zag pattern). Place in middle of bundt cake. Place cherry in middle of orange.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve al a mode with Breyers Natural vanilla ice cream.