Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
According to my mother, this is the "best" banana cake. It is very moist and flavorful. Everyone had several slices. A good way to use up those old bananas. I did some pretty substantial revisions to a Recipezaar posting, Simple Orange Banana Bundt Cake, so I chose to post my own.
- 5 overly-ripened bananas
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large orange, juice of
- 1 large orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 maraschino cherry
Serve al a mode
- breyers natural vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In food processor, puree bananas with cream cheese.
- Transfer to mixer. Add all of the following ingredients (except dates and nuts). Combine well.
- Stir in dates and nuts. Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (until toothpick comes out relatively clean-don't over bake!).
- Loosen from sides of pan then flip over on a cooling rack (leaving pan on top of cake to retain moisture). When completely cool, remove bundt pan.
- Glaze: Mix zest, juice and powdered sugar. Add enough milk to make a thick glaze. Pour over top of cake (the molded portion), allowing to drizzle down sides. Top with flaked coconut.
- Garnish: Transfer cake to a serving plate. Cut an orange in half (using a zig-zag pattern). Place in middle of bundt cake. Place cherry in middle of orange.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve al a mode with Breyers Natural vanilla ice cream.