Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These bars are so moist and yummy. I have even added chopped apples to the batter... Note: this makes a large amount of bars, but they freeze well...great for potlucks too.
Top Review by LisaCooks
YUMMY! Made these early this morning before it got too hot in the kitchen. A real snap to mix up and turned out oh-so moist and delicious. Just the right blend of cinnamon and chocolate. I omitted the nuts to please the kids, and drizzled with a few melted chocolate chips right after I removed from oven. Perfect with some vanilla ice cream!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan.
- In a bowl, cream the 1-1/2 cups sugar with the 1/2 cup butter; beat until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs; beat well.
- Sift together the cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and the flour.
- Add to the butter mixture, alternately with the applesauce; mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle over the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes (do not over bake!) Cut into bars.