Recipe by Mami J
This is a cake that I made to use up some leftover applesauce. It is low fat and has no oil or butter, it uses only one egg, and sugar-free sweetened condensed milk and applesauce and has the healthy addition of oats. It comes out so moist. It's great the next day for a breakfast treat.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Wow, wow, wow! This recipe is so quick and easy to make and the result is fabulous: a very moist and spicy bread like cake (or muffin in my case) with so much flavour and texture. The oats really make it special and the cinnamon is perfect. I got 12 muffins out of the full recipe (baked them for 35 minutes), which were gobbled up immediately. :) Thanks so much for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Mami Janine! I will surely make this again soon, maybe adding in fresh chopped apples or raisins. Made and reviewed for Bevy Tag June 09.
- 1 cup sugar-free applesauce
- 1 cup reduced-sugar sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 8x8 inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor or blender, grind oats to a medium consistency, set aside.
- In a large bowl with a whisk, mix applesauce, milk and egg.
- Add all the flour, oats and spices. Fold in, until everything is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpivk inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let sit 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Can be served warm or at room temperature.