Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a cake that I made to use up some leftover applesauce. It is low fat and has no oil or butter, it uses only one egg, and sugar-free sweetened condensed milk and applesauce and has the healthy addition of oats. It comes out so moist. It's great the next day for a breakfast treat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 8x8 inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor or blender, grind oats to a medium consistency, set aside.
- In a large bowl with a whisk, mix applesauce, milk and egg.
- Add all the flour, oats and spices. Fold in, until everything is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpivk inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let sit 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Wow, wow, wow! This recipe is so quick and easy to make and the result is fabulous: a very moist and spicy bread like cake (or muffin in my case) with so much flavour and texture. The oats really make it special and the cinnamon is perfect. I got 12 muffins out of the full recipe (baked them for 35 minutes), which were gobbled up immediately. :) Thanks so much for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Mami Janine! I will surely make this again soon, maybe adding in fresh chopped apples or raisins. Made and reviewed for Bevy Tag June 09.
Like a previous reviewer, I used this recipe to make muffins. They turned out quite dense, moist and very flavorful. The only changes I made were to use quick oats, which I didn't bother processing since they're already pretty small, regular condensed milk, since I don't know where to get sugar-reduced, and the addition of 1 chopped Macintosh apple. I'm wondering if the addition of baking powder would give a lighter muffin. I may try that in the future. Made for Nuffin But Muffin Tag Game.