Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
There are hundreds of apple cake recipes on zaar, but I believe this one is slightly different. This is one of my favorite sweet treats, from an Amish cookbook - Cooking with the Horse & Buggy People. Based on preference, the apples may be peeled as well.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 177°C.
- Beat together eggs, sugar and oil with a whisk until well mixed.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Sift dry ingredients into egg mixture and mix well.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into 9"x13" greased pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until tested done with toothpick.
- Note: Check around 40 minutes - my oven is usually slower than most.
This recipe is very similar to my family's apple cake recipe (The only difference being that we'd use only one quarter or one half the salt called for). I make it again and again after apple-picking, and I hardly ever tire of it!
This recipe is easy and delicious. I had lots of pears and used them instead of apples and instead of nuts I used raisins. Everyone enjoyed it and I will be making it again. Thanks Kris Mex for a great recipe.