Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is soooo delicious. So moist, not to sweet, with an great combination of ingredients. Make as a cake or divide mixture into smaller coffe cakes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups sliced apples
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Beat the first six ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add the next four ingredients to the mixture and mix well.
- Bake in a greased and floured pan at 325 degrees for one and a half hours. (a round pan with a middle is preferred, but I also divided the mixture into ramekin dishes as well and turned out just fine)
- Let the cake cool down. And remove it to a serving dish. (If using ramekins this step is not necessary).
- Once removed prick holes all around the cake making sure you don't mutilate it in the process!
- For the icing:.
- Mix all three ingredients in a saucepan and boil for one and a half minutes.
- Pour over cake while topping is warm.
- The holes pricked into the cake allow the topping to absorb into the cake - a definite tasty must!
Fantastic rich dessert - not for the faint-hearted. Make sure you bake it for the full hour and a half. I made the mistake of taking it out too early: the coconut was too chewy and the apples hadn't softened. But after putting it in again for twenty minutes, it turned out fabulous. And easy to make! Thanks for a great recipe!