Recipe by Bama Chef
I found this recipe on another website, and I thought it was so tasty. I especially like the nice addition of the cinnamon and sugar on top! I've made both a loaf and muffins out of this. The time shown is specific for the loaf. I think I baked the muffins for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick came out clean.
Top Review by Allisonsdinner
I'm enjoying a warm slice right now, and it is quite good. I used half whole-wheat flour, butter (a little less than called for) in place of shortening, golden raisins instead of nuts, and two (peeled) granny smith apples. The crisp sugar top really is good! Thanks for the quick & easy recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 2 cups apples, diced (~1 1/2 medium-sized)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs.
- Sift together baking powder, salt, flour, and baking soda. Add sugar/shortening mixture and blend.
- Add apples, nuts, and vanilla.
- Place in loaf pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool slightly in pan before placing on a cooling rack.