Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hot German carrot side dish translated from the classic German cookbook "Koch vergnugen wie noch nie." Not very healthy, but very tasty.
- Wash and peel carrots, then cut them into thick sticks.
- Heat a large sauce-pot over low heat and melt the butter and sugar together until the sugar caramelizes.
- Add the carrot sticks to the caramel mixture and stir to coat.
- Add the hot broth,cover, and let carrots steam 25-30 minutes over medium-low heat (after 15 minutes, remove the lid so the remaining liquid will evaporate.).
- Once the carrots are cooked enough to your liking, whisk in the cream, season to taste, and add the chopped parsley.
- Serve warm.
This is very tasty indeed! Loved the flavour blends, followed the recipe to a T and was rewarded with a great carrot side dish. I served it with my Cumbed Schnitzel and a potato casserole and Inez' Lemon broccoli. Thanks for posting.
We really like these. I didn't have any vegetable brother on hand so I used water. But, these were very nice. I will make them again.
I found this recipe to make for Christmas Eve for our German best friends. Lo and behold they hate carrots! HOWEVER they loved this so much that they have asked I make it for Easter! I modified this process by caramelizing the sugar and butter in a deep baking dish in the oven set at 350 for about 15 minutes. On the stove top I heated the broth, added the pepper and whisked the cream then added that to the baking dish with the carrots and baked for another 30 minutes. It saved some time, and when you have a a 7 year old, every minute saved is a blessing. This was simply delicious. Thank you for this fantastic recipe!