Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Clarissa Hyman. Very good for nursing a Purim hangover with.
- 6 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 160 g sugar
- 150 g poppy seeds
- 50 g walnuts
- 50 g raisins
- 200 g margarine
- 200 g chocolate
- 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
- Grease and line a 26 cm/ 10 inch springform cake tin.
- Melt the margarine and then reduce the heat to very very low. Add the chocolate and water. When it starts to melt, take off the heat and then continue to stir until fully melted. Set aside. This forms the chocolate topping for the cake.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites with the salt until snowy peaks are formed. Add half the sugar slowly and whisk until stiff.
- Beat the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar together. Add four tablespoons of the chocolate topping and mix.
- Stir the poppy seeds, walnuts and raisins into the egg-chocolate mix.
- Fold in half of the egg whites into the poppy seed mix.
- Fold in the other half of the egg whites. Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove it from the tin.
- Reheat the chocolate topping (easiest in the microwave, you can also do it over a bowl of hot water but NEVER over an open flame) and pour over the cake. Leave to cool.