1/1 Photo of Mohnkranzerl Aus Hefeteig (Poppy Seed Rolls)
1 hr 30 mins
By Jennifer McGavin. These Poppy Seed Rolls are an Austrian specialty, often served with coffee or brunch. There are just a few options offered in making these great rolls, which stretches the instructions to the point that it appears rather complicated. But it's not a complicated recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspooon fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 large egg
- 1To Make the Filling: Grind the poppy seeds. You may use a mill or grinder, or grind it in several batches in a coffee grinder. Grind them for 1 - 2 minutes or until they are cracked and become darker and oily looking.
- 2Mix together the milk, butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, rum, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, then remove from heat and cool.
- 3To Make the Dough: *This recipe calls for instant yeast. If you are using regular dry yeast, mix it with part of the lukewarm milk and let it sit for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Add with the milk to the dry ingredients and proceed as usual. If you wish to use fresh yeast, use a cake (20 - 30 grams) and dissolve in the milk prior to mixing with the flour.
- 4Mix the flour, instant yeast*, sugar and salt in a bowl. Melt butter and milk together, cool to lukewarm.
- 5Add the milk, butter and egg to the flour and work (mix, then knead) it into a smooth dough. Knead for about 5 minutes, then form it into a ball, dust it with flour and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 400°.
- 7To Form Braided Rolls: Divide dough in half, then cut each into six equal pieces each.
- 8Roll out each piece to about 2 by 6 inches on a lightly floured surface. Place about 2 tablespoons of poppy seed filling down the center of each piece, lengthwise. Fold the dough lengthwise around the filling and pinch closed to form a rope. Roll this rope a little longer by rocking it back and forth with your hands.
- 9Twist two filled ropes together and then form them into a ring, pinching the ends closed so that the ring does not untwist in the oven.
- 10Repeat to make six rolls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 11Mix the egg yolk and water together, and brush it over the rolls. Sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
- 12Bake the rolls as soon as you finish making all of them (no further rise) for 25 to 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350° after 5 - 10 minutes baking time, and turn the baking sheet about half-way through for even baking.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mohnkranzerl Aus Hefeteig (Poppy Seed Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.4
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 228.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lemon zest