Recipe by burma_boy
Burmese fish soup, common breakfast dish. Garnishes that go well include cilantro, lime, shredded spring onions, and hard boiled egg halves.
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion (grated)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass (1 stalk fresh)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 50 ounces water
- 3 ounces fish sauce
- 2 small onions (quartered)
- 4 tablespoons rice flour (mixed with a little cold water)
- 1 lb catfish
- 1 lb rice noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add the onion, the garlic, the ginger, the fresh lemon grass (finely chopped or 1 tsp of ground lemon grass), the chili powder, and the turmeric to the oil. Cook on medium until fragrant.
- Add water, fish sauce, small onions, and rice flour. Mix well, bring to a boil, and stir thoroughly to remove lumps. Once thickened, reduce to a simmer for ~20 minutes.
- Cut fish into chunks, add to the soup, mix, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- On the side, boil water and add rice noodles for ~5 minutes, until tender, and drain.
- Serve soup on the noodles with garnishes.