Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A traditional Mohawk Indian soup that is very nutritious and very filling
- 3 pork hocks
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 small turnips or 1 small rutabaga
- 2 medium onions
- 1 (19 ounce) can yellow hominy or 1 (19 ounce) can white hominy (drained)
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans (drained)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Dice cabbage,turnip,and onions and set aside.
- Place pork hocks and chicken cubes in 3 quarts of cold water in a 4 quart stock pot and bring to a boil;removing any scum that rises to the top.
- Simmer for 2 hours Remove meat from pot and discard fat and bone.
- Dice meat and return to pot.
- Add cabbage,turnip and onion to pot and let simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Add kidney beans and hominy and simmer for 20 minutes.
EXCELLENT! I only had hock so threw in 3 chorizo sausages for first boil plus some jalapenos. Chilled overnight to remove excess fat and chopped up meat plus added some frozen italian meatballs with the cabbage, rutabaga and onion. Used 29 oz can hominy and 19 oz can red kidney. The jalapeno and chorizo added a nice bite and the entire family loved this hearty soup. Meegwetch