1/6 Photos of Mohammed's Tagine Kefta
Morocco is one of my favourite countries and after several trips there we now have good friends in the southern city of Zagora. It was there that I first learned how to make a tagine kefta, or in other words a Moroccan version of a meatball stew. Now I know there are almost as many versions of a tagine kefta as there are chefs. This one was taught to me by Mohammed in his kitchen in Zagora. For the oil, he used mostly olive oil but with a couple spoonfuls of vegetable oil mixed in. Also, the spices in Morocco are very fresh. Buy the best you can and add more if needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a tagine. If you do not have a tagine you can also use a large covered frying pan or casserole pot.
- 2Put in the onion, garlic and parsley as well as the paprika, salt and pepper. Stir and cover, leaving to saute over a low heat while you prepare the meatballs.
- 3Add the cumin to the meat, which helps it stay together. Mix well and form into either meatballs or flat patties.
- 4After about five minutes you can add the tomatoes to the pot and continue to simmer.
- 5Stir and add a bit of cold water if necessary as the tomatoes cook down and develop into a nice sauce. This should take at least 10 minutes, don't rush it.
- 6When you have a good sauce, put the meat patties on top of the sauce and cover.
- 7If you want to add the hot pepper you can lay it on top at this point as well.
- 8Cover and let bubble away for another 10 minutes or until the beef is cooked, adding a bit of water if necessary.
- 9Once the meat is cooked crack the eggs on top and let cook for another couple minutes, covered, until the eggs are done.
- 10Serve hot with lots of bread to soak up the sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mohammed's Tagine Kefta
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 677.7
- Calories from Fat 455
- Total Fat 50.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 395.3 mg
- Sodium 604.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 41.9 g