Buster's friend's Note:
From those raisin guys @ the California Raisin Marketing Institute - they credit the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Made these over the grill Memorial weekend - the burst of sweet-crunch the dab of raisin/nuts give in the center nicely balances the flavorful richness of the meat. They grill fast & are eaten up faster - some folks sprinkled a bit of sea salt on them but most of use thought they were perfect as is - balanced by a Fattoush salad, salty with kalamata olives & feta. Servd as appetizer - need to triple recipe next time - it was that good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gingerroot, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons raisins (California, of course!)
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked in warm water (6-inch)
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in small frypan and sauté garlic and gingerroot until tender.
- 2Turn into mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined with lamb, bread crumbs, seasonings and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Chill thoroughly.
- 3Chop raisins and pistachios; mix together and set aside.
- 4With lightly oiled hands, take a walnut-sized piece of lamb mixture and roll into a small ball. Repeat until lamb is all rolled into balls. With little finger, press slight depression into center of each ball. ball. Fill depression with about 1/2 teaspoon of raisin-nut mixture and, then, gently work lamb mixture over raisin-nut mixture to cover completely.
- 5Repeat to make 12 balls. Skewer 2 balls on each skewer. Press to elongate and flatten slightly and shape to length of skewer. Chill until ready to put on medium-hot grill.
- 6To cook, heat small amount of oil in sautépan or grill over a wood or gas grill. Cook until kebabs are well-browned all over. Serve hot with your favorite chutney or Tzatziki sauce.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mogul Kebabs With Raisin-Pistachio Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.4
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.9 mg
- Sodium 136.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 22.6 g