1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
This is a "special occasion" dish from from the Punjab region of India. The site does no recognize cassia leaves (Indian bay leaf) so I typed regular bay leaves. Cassia leaves and asafoetida can be found in Indian spice shops. You can purchase garam masala or make your own. Several good recipes are posted on the site. If you use very small baby turnips, no need to peel them. Just cut off stems. If you use larger turnips, peel and halve them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and coarsely chopped (about a 2-inch piece)
- 2 green chilies, stemmed (mild or hot, depending on your tastes)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 bay leaves (Indian cassia leaves, see description)
- 2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes (or boneless leg)
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb baby turnip
- 1Place onion, garlic, ginger and chiles in a food processor and chop to form a paste.
- 2Heat oil in a Dutch oven and add onion mixture and the cassia leaves. Fry over high heat for 5 minutes, reduce heat to medium and fry another 2 minutes. Onions should be just starting to brown. Add the lamb and stir until all pieces are coated with onion mixture. Fry 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 3Add the asafoetida, chili powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala. Stir well. Cook 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and yogurt and cook 1 minute. Add salt and pepper and water a little at a time, stirring after each addition. Cover pan and simmer 30 minutes.
- 4Add turnips and continue simmering another 45 minutes, or until turnips are tender.
- 5Serve hot with naan bread.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moghul Lamb With Turnips
Serving Size: 1 (601 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1019.6
- Calories from Fat 781
- Total Fat 86.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 164.2 mg
- Sodium 1437.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 41.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: