Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
found on pastrywiz.com:: A fluffy, all-purpose topping that can double as a filling. Properly whipped, it will be stiff enough to mound or pipe through a pastry bag.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or other flavoring)
- Soften the gelatin in the cold water in a small heatproof measuring cup. Set the cup in a pan of simmering water and heat about 4 minutes until the gelatin dissolves; remove from heat. (or microwave for about 10 seconds).
- Combine the dry milk, ice water, and confectioner's sugar in the chilled small bowl of an electric mixer, then beat with chilled beaters at medium speed until foamy.
- With the motor running, carefully pour the gelatin down the side of the bowl so that it doesn't hit the beaters and spatter all over.
- Continue beating at medium speed for 7 to 10 minutes until it is the texture of whipped cream, then beat in the vanilla.
- If not used immediately, store in the refrigerator or freeze in desired shapes. The mixture deflates on standing and may be re-whipped. Allow 1/2 cup frozen topping to thaw about 15 minutes before serving.
- Makes 3 cups.