Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A real easy vegetarian "tuna" sandwich ready in minutes. Good for a lunch or picnic.
- 1 (28 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- hot sauce
- Pulse beans until consistency of coarse meal in a food processor.
- Combine mashed beans with other ingredients in a bowl.
- Use as a sandwich, pita or tortilla filling.
I make a similar "mock tuna" sandwich, but as I am vegetarian I eliminate the egg and I add a little powdered kelp or some very thinly shredded sushi-style seaweed, which gives it the fish flavour.
Really very Good. However rather than calling it a "Mock Tuna Fish Salad", it should be called a Chopped Garbanzo Bean Salad" since it dosen't taste like tuna, but you can really taste the Garbanzo Beans.