Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is posted for a request. I have not tried it yet myself, but I have heard it is very good.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked cream of wheat
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- prepared whipped topping, for garnish
- maraschino cherry, for garnish
- In a small bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cover and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together milk, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and egg yolk.
- Heat to a rapid boil, while stirring constantly.
- Slowly sprinkle in cereal, while continuing to stir briskly.
- Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer beaten egg whites to a medium size mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour hot mixture over egg whites, while stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon pudding into 4 dessert dishes.
- Chill until serving time.
- Garnish with whipped topping and cherries if desired.
HA! That's amazing how it does taste like tapioca! I'm eating mine piping hot, delicious. Has a great texture, substantial, yet fluffy in a way. To save time I beat my white while waiting for the milk to boil, then just added the whites to the pot when it was time. It only took about 2 minutes for the cream of wheat to thicken. Thanks, I'm excited!
Although this recipe is quite tasty, I would have to say it doesn't taste anything like tapioca pudding. I eat a lot of tapioca pudding because it helps to reduce pain and swelling in my arthritic fingers. I also eat the cream of wheat cereal. But what this recipe does do is to take a very heavy cereal and make it light and fluffy. I like too that it is not over induldged with too much sugar. Instead it is lighty sweetened and that works for me. Regardless, it is a very nice recipe and is very easy to make and enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
You want to talk about something good, I make this all the time for breakfast! Tell me, what could possibly be better than dessert for breakfast!