Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tahini is either too expensive, unavailable where you live or you don't have the time to make it from scratch... Although I always prefer the real deal, there have been a few times that I've run out of tahini and had to use this emergency substitute.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sesame seeds, either toasted (white sesame seeds will do in a pinch) or 1⁄2 cup untoasted sesame seeds (white sesame seeds will do in a pinch)
- 2 -3 tablespoons regular sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (the toasted sesame oil will give the sesame seeds "depth", especially if you choose not to toast)
- If you have the time, lightly toast the sesame seeds and allow to cool then proceed. If pressed for time, bypass the toasting.
- In food processor or blender combine all *ingredients and blend until relatively smooth. Add more oil if necessary to aid in blending. There definitely will be whole seeds remaining no matter how well you blend, and that's okay.
- Mixture will be very oily and not very smooth. (Remember, this is an emergency!) ;).
- If time permits, allow tahini to set for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: If you don't have any time available to toast or blend the seeds then omit those steps and add the whole seeds and oil directly into your recipe, depending of course on what you are preparing. It's a judgment call.
- Very important to be sure your sesame seeds are fresh before starting this recipe! If not, your tahini will taste rancid. ALWAYS keep sesame seeds refrigerated!
- Refrigerate any leftover tahini.
- *Bear in mind that my measurements are approximated. Adjust amounts accordingly.
A great quick fix! I toasted the sesame seeds in a skillet, then put in food processor. My processor didn't quite grind them up enough, but you still get the taste. Thanks!
Thank you so much for posting this! I ran out of tahihi, but I get the seeds and oil from the asian market, and it's much cheaper!
This worked great in a recipe from 101cookbooks.com for hummus. I had forgotten to get tahini and was in the middle of making the hummus before I realized it. I toasted the seeds in the toaster oven and used my immersion blender to get it all nice and smooth. Thanks so much.