1/1 Photo of Mock Tahini
Tahini is either too expensive, unavailable where you live or you don't have the time to make it from scratch... Although I always prefer the real deal, there have been a few times that I've run out of tahini and had to use this emergency substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup brown sesame seeds, either toasted (white sesame seeds will do in a pinch) or 1/2 cup untoasted sesame seeds (white sesame seeds will do in a pinch)
- 2 -3 tablespoons regular sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (the toasted sesame oil will give the sesame seeds "depth", especially if you choose not to toast)
- 1If you have the time, lightly toast the sesame seeds and allow to cool then proceed. If pressed for time, bypass the toasting.
- 2In food processor or blender combine all *ingredients and blend until relatively smooth. Add more oil if necessary to aid in blending. There definitely will be whole seeds remaining no matter how well you blend, and that's okay.
- 3Mixture will be very oily and not very smooth. (Remember, this is an emergency!) ;).
- 4If time permits, allow tahini to set for 30 minutes.
- 5NOTE: If you don't have any time available to toast or blend the seeds then omit those steps and add the whole seeds and oil directly into your recipe, depending of course on what you are preparing. It's a judgment call.
- 6Very important to be sure your sesame seeds are fresh before starting this recipe! If not, your tahini will taste rancid. ALWAYS keep sesame seeds refrigerated!
- 7Refrigerate any leftover tahini.
- 8*Bear in mind that my measurements are approximated. Adjust amounts accordingly.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock Tahini
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.6
- Calories from Fat 530
- Total Fat 58.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown sesame seeds