1/1 Photo of Mock Sourdough French Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
I found the original version of this recipe in the Betty Crocker Bread Cookbook about 25-30 years ago and have pretty much given up on making my own sourdough, since this is a good as all but the very best sourdough breads around. Cooking time includes rising time.
My Private Note
small l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons plain yogurt (Non-fat works great!)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 package expired dry yeast, for flavor (optional)
- 1/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -5 cups unbleached flour
- cold water
- fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- 1Heat yogurt to lukewarm (110 degrees F).
- 2In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in yogurt, sugar, salt, oil and 2 cups flour, and beat until smooth.
- 3Stir in enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 4Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary, to obtain a firm, non-sticky sough.
- 5Place in oiled bowl, and turn to oil top of dough.
- 6Cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled in volume.
- 7Punch down dough, divide into 8 equal parts, knead each one, and flatten into a 4"x6" rectangle.
- 8Roll up, beginning on one of the long sides, excluding any air bubbles.
- 9Pinch edge of dough firmly into roll to seal, press each end firmly to seal, and fold ends under.
- 10Place loaves, seam side down, on greased cookie sheets sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 11Brush or spray tops with cold water, and cut three diagonal slices across top of each loaf with a sharp knife or razor blade.
- 12Let rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.
- 13Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 14Brush or spray loaves with cold water, and sprinkle pepper into slashes if desired.
- 15Bake until loaves sound hollow when rapped on the bottom or when they reach an internal temperature of 190 degrees F on an instant reading thermometer, about 35 minutes, brushing or spraying with cold water every 10 minutes.
- 16Cool on wire rack before wrapping.
- 17Recipe can be doubled successfully, and bread freezes very well.
- 18Thaw to room temperature and heat unwrapped in oven to restore the crisp crust.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock Sourdough French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.6
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 612.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 9.3 g