Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
As I have told you before, I'm a rice snob, and I don't like instant rice but it sometimes comes in very handy. This makes a good vegetarian meal or side with grilled chicken or fish or even a steak. Eating Well. This makes another easy and nice rice dish for the resident's.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1⁄2 cup grated asiago cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for passing, if desired
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives or 1⁄4 cup scallion top
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until soft and just beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add rice and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and spread asparagus and bell pepper on top of the simmering rice—do not stir into the rice mixture.
- Replace cover and continue simmering, adjusting the heat if necessary, until the liquid is almost absorbed and the asparagus is bright green but still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add peas and cream cheese; stir until the mixture is creamy and the cheese is incorporated.
- Return to a simmer and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated and the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Asiago (or Parmesan).
- Serve topped with chives (or scallions) and additional grated cheese.
- Note: For Vegetarian use only the vegetable broth.
wow di, this sounds amazing and i will make it over the weekend. the thing that i will do different is to eliminate the bell pepper, i don't like them and they don't like me. i will review it on sunday. i am really looking foward to making this i love risotto but am toooooooo lazy to make it the original way, well, i made it and it is wonderful. i used low sodium chicken broth and eliminated the bell pepper, even though i know it would look great. tastes as if you spend a lot of effort to make this and it was so easy, too.