Recipe by Annacia
This meat loaf recipe is baked with vegetables and is similar to a pot roast. From Southern U.S. Cuisine.
Top Review by breezermom
This is so good, I'm not sure I can trust the calorie and fat content listed by food.com! I did have to cook it a bit longer because the veggies were still hard and the meat was a bit pink, but otherwise I followed the recipe. I've always done meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but this is a wonderful alternative. Thanks for sharing your great recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 small carrots
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved or 8 -10 small potatoes, peeled
- 16 small white onions (frozen or fresh peeled)
- frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground beef and pork together with rolled oats.
- Mix in eggs, ketchup, dry mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper.
- Shape into a loaf in a shallow greased baking pan large enough for meat loaf and vegetables.
- Brush with gravy browning sauce, if using.
- Arrange carrots, potatoes, and onions around meatloaf.
- Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Cover pan with foil; bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and add peas.
- Replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Uncover and baste meat loaf with pan juices.
- Bake 5 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.