Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a vegetarian version of chicken pot pie. Easy to make comfort food. I looked at lots of recipes and then experimented to get it right. You can substitute seitan instead of Quorn and it will be more like beef pot pie. You could probably use soy milk to make it vegan, but I haven't tried that.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (approximate)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package Quorn tenders
- 2 cups water
- 0.5 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or more as needed to thicken)
For biscuit topping
- 2 cups flour (may use 1 cup whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat sufficient olive oil to cover the bottom of a large pot. Saute onions and mushrooms for 5 minute Add garlic and thyme, stir briefly, and then add celery.
- Stir in soy sauce and quorn.
- Add water and frozen vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornstarch with a small amount of liquid from the pot and then stir into filling. Add more if necessary to thicken sauce.
- Pour filling into 10 in square casserole.
- Prepare biscuit dough-.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter or margarine.
- Add 1 cup milk and stir briefly.
- Spread dough over the top of the filling. It does not have to reach all the way to the edges.
- Bake at 400 for 25 min or until biscuit top is slightly browned.