1/3 Photos of Mock Noodle Kugel (Using Spaghetti Squash; Low-Carb, Fat-Free)
1 hr 15 mins
I based this recipe on one I found in Nechama Cohen's "Enlitened Kosher Cooking." I chose the sweet variation, so that's what I'm posting; but if you want a savory kugel, leave out the Splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg and replace it with one peeled, sliced medium onion and two peeled, minced cloves of garlic sauteed in a tablespoon of olive oil. Don't be deterred by the cooking time -- most of it is spent waiting for the squash to cool, or the kugel to bake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the spaghetti squash: split it in half and remove the seeds and strings. Place the halves cut-side down in 1/4 c water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for seven to ten minutes or until the flesh is soft. Allow to cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 400. Line an 8" square baking pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- 3Using a fork, scrape the flesh out of the squash halves. Place the "spaghetti" in a large bowl.
- 4Lightly beat the eggs and egg whites; add them, along with the rest of the ingredients, to the bowl with the squash. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- 5Pour into the prepared pan and lighting spray the top with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes at 400, then lower the heat to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes, until the kugel starts to turn a bit golden.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock Noodle Kugel (Using Spaghetti Squash; Low-Carb, Fat-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.3
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 50.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: