1/4 Photos of Mock-Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you saw Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay and wanted to try that New York City bakery cookie, I couldn't find the actual recipe anywhere so I came up with this one that comes very close to it. Bake them the shorter amount of time if you like them slightly underdone and a little gooey in the center, or the longer time for a crisper, well-done cookie. Update (9/15/10): A week ago I made a batch of these substituting margarine for the butter and they came out very flat, so I strongly suggest using only well-chilled real butter when making this recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles crumbs, add sugars and stir well (breaking up any brown sugar clumps), add eggs and mix until dough forms, stir in chocolate chips (and nuts, if desired).
- 2Chill dough for one hour (and keep chilled while baking first batch).
- 3Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 4Put half of the dough on an ungreased baking sheet in 7 large balls, bake for 8 -10 minutes, turn cookie sheet around back to front, bake until light golden brown on top, another 5 - 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on sheet for a few minutes, then place on wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the rest of the dough after cookie sheet cools. This should give you a very close approximation to the Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies.
- 5If you'd like to make them somewhat smaller I suggest using a 375 degree oven temp so they don't over-brown, though they may not rise quite as high.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock-Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 395.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 33.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g