Recipe by Robin Batterson
My inspiration for this recipe is a jerk type of marinade...i did it in the oven but it could easily be done on the grill also.
Top Review by Baby Kato
I loved this jerk chicken, great flavors, everything blended beautifully together, nothing was over powering. The spices and herb worked well together. The chicken was tender and juicy, with a great savory flavor. Beautiful served with Irish Soda bread, watermelon and bbq corn on the cob. Really nice use of the contest ingredients, good luck in the contest. I marinaded the chicken for two hours and baked in the oven. Made for RSC #18
- 2 lbs chicken legs, about 6 (2 tsp bat tears)
- 3 black tea bags (brewed with 1 cup boiling water till strong tea about 10 minutes)
- 1 grapefruit, juiced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all liquids: tea, grapefruit juice, corn syrup and oil together, put in blender with ginger and blend. place this liquid in ziplock bag with the chicken and marinate 1 hour.
- mix all remaining spices together well*. add to chicken and marinade. allow to marinade for another hour.
- * if you like really spicy food, save some of the spice mixture and sprinkle on chicken right before roasting.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake chicken legs on a rack over cookie sheet or roasting pan for 45-60 minutes.