Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not sure why this is called mock duck, but it is a very old recipe. Delicious.
- 2 lbs piece round steaks
- 4 cups soft breadcrumbs (Or 3 cups dried)
- 1 onion, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon shortening or 1 tablespoon dripping
- 1 1⁄2 cups gravy (homemade or canned, or you may use a tin of condensed tomato soup)
- Pound the steak all over.
- Make a dressing by combining the bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper, mustard, savory and melted butter.
- Spread the dressing mixture over the steak and roll up like a jelly roll.
- Tie or skewer it shut and seal ends.
- Brown well in drippings.
- Place in a covered baking dish.
- Pour the gravy or soup over and bake, covered, at 325*F for about 1 1/2 hours until tender.