Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Few would know this pie is not coconut. I found the recipe in a community newspaper when vacationing in a very rural area of West Virginia about twenty years ago.
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cooked (about 2 lbs)
- 3 large slightly beaten eggs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ground nutmeg (optional) or cinnamon (optional)
- whipped cream, as garnish (optional)
- Set oven 350.
- With two forks, scoop squash from shell and set aside (you want approximately 3 cups).
- In large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, butter, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Whisk well.
- Stir in spaghetti squash.
- Pour into prebaked pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon if desired.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
Belated ranking - first tried in Aug/02 and noted as too sweet but reduced sugar to 3/4 cup the next time in Sept/02. Have made this several times since then and handed out recipe upon request.
I made as written, with the exception of using a prepared UNBAKED pie shell. I think if you used a pre-baked shell and then baked another 40 minutes you would have a very burnt crust. We liked the texture and flavor of this, but I would follow the advice of previous reviewers and add some coconut extract and less sugar next time.
I was excited to try this. Unfortunately, I found it was disappointing in flavor and texture. I even added the coconut extract and decreased the sugar as suggested by others. I won't try this one again --sorry.