Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My kids grew up eating this and absolutely love it. They are now serving it to their own families. It's one of my "comfort foods".
- Cook ground beef until brown.
- Add onion and celery, cook until almost tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except chow mein noodles.
- Put into a two quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes.
- Uncover and layer with chow mein noodles.
- Return to oven, uncovered and bake until noodles are brown, about 15 minutes.
My family really liked this dish. I would suggest that the chow mein noodles be added after cooking as they tend to be soggy when reheated (microwave). My 12 year old daughter really loved this dish.
Maybe just personal preferences, but didn't like it enough to ever make again.
Sensational! I made this exactly according to directions, with no adjustments for high altitude, and it came out perfectly. I don't have a covered 2-quart casserole dish, so I used a 2-quart oblong glass dish (slightly smaller than a cake pan) and covered it tightly with aluminum foil. My husband loved it! It makes a large quantity, which is great for families. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I think we'll be enjoying this for years to come. (I'll bet it would be excellent with a few cashews thrown in, too.)