Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a low calorie, low carb version of chow mein.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces
- 4 1⁄2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- Brown ground beef with onion and green pepper.
- Add cabbage and carrot brown this until wilted.
- Add drained mushrooms and onion soup mix.
- Mix the water, corn starch and soy sauce.
- Stir the soy sauce mixture into the ground beef and vegetables until smooth and thickened.
We really liked this! I used a whole red pepper, diced, and left out the onion since it also calls for onion soup mix. I also replaced the cabbage and carrot with a bag of coleslaw veggie mix. This came together really quickly...I barely had enough time to cook a pot of ramen noodles! Next time I make this, I will add baby corn and some broccoli.