Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This recipe was given to me by my mother. The kids enjoy it, and it is perfect for serving on crusty bread.The cook time is including the chill time.
- Bring chicken broth and lentils to a boil in large pan.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir occasionally for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain if necessary.
- Saute chopped onions in hot vegetable oil over heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Process 1/3 of lentils, 1/3 of onions and 1/3 of walnuts in food processor in 3 batches until mixed smooth.
- Stir mix with salt and pepper.
- Line a 3 cup mold with plastic wrap.
- Put mixture in mold.
- Chill for 8 hours, unmold onto baby leaf lettuce.
- Garnish with green onions and serve on crackers and celery sticks.
Brilliatn recipe. Could not stop eating it. Served it to top sliced bread.
as I couldnt get any chicken livers this Passover I decided to make this-as is healthier anyway, it was a hit!! it looks like the real mcoy, smells like it, texture was great and even almost...tasted like it!! my 70year old uncle couldn't believe it! and it was so easy to make! Thank you and will make it again. (oh, I also added a garnish of a grated hard boiled egg partly mixed thru..and some parsley sprigs)
My expert chopped liver lovers ate this right up. And it is so much better for you than the real thing! This cooked as per the instructions and was so easy. I garnished with some sliced olives and Italian parsley. I know that I will be making this again.