Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-ribbed
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 -2 Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon diced jalapeno
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces ground beef
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Cheez Whiz
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 large sesame seed hot dog buns
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded or chopped thin
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 16 -20 tortilla chips
- 2 -3 fresh jalapenos, sliced
- First make the pico de gallo.
- This is easy.
- Just combine all of the ingredients for the pico in a small bowl and mix well.
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- Now we'll make the guacamole.
- In a small bowl, smash up most of the avocado, but be sure to leave several unsmashed chunks.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the guacamole to the avocado and mix well.
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator, next to the pico.
- Next we'll make the chili queso.
- In yet another small bowl, mix together ground beef, flour, a pinch of salt, a pinch of black pepper, and a pinch of chili powder.
- Use your hands to work the dry ingredients into the ground beef.
- Brown the beef in a small skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Use a spoon or spatula to crumble the beef as it cooks.
- Cook until it's brown, then set aside.
- Melt the Cheez Whiz with 2 tablespoons of milk over low heat.
- When milk and cheese has been combined, add the remaining queso ingredients.
- Heat while stirring often until cheese is smooth and creamy, then cover saucepan and remove it from the heat.
- Pre-heat a griddle or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Lightly butter the face of each bun and brown the buns face-down on the heat.
- Separate the ground beef into four 1/2-pound portions.
- Roll each portion of meat into a ball and then pat the meat down into a circular patty slightly larger in diameter than the hamburger buns.
- Cook the hamburger patties for 5-10 minutes per side, until done.
- Lightly salt and pepper each burger patty.
- Build the burger open-faced in the following order starting with the bottom bun: On Bottom Bun: 1/2 cup shredded lettuce, hamburger patty, 2 tablespoons chili queso, 4 or 5 crumbled tortilla chips, 2 teaspoons green onion On Top Bun: 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons pico de gallo, 2 tablespoons guacamole, and 4 jalapeno slices.
- Serve burger with extra queso and guacamole.
- May also serve french fries on the side and use the chili queso for dipping.
I found this recipe a couple months ago I think on Top Secret Recipes. The burgers are very good and so far everyone that has tried them has liked them. This week was the first chance I got to properly make them over a grill and they were fantastic. Don't take any shortcuts with the guacamole or Pico de Gallo both taste excellent compared to the pre-packaged stuff. My only 2 complaints about the recipe is the long preperation time (worth it) and it's a bit messy to eat. Oh and I broke my salsa maker yesterday making the Pico de Gallo. :)