Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was lucky enough to get this recipe from "Down to Earth" in Maui, HI many years ago. It is the creation of Carol Lent. It has been a standard fare in our family for years. It is so delicious! Give it a try!
- 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, drain well
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons spike seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- Drain tofu well.
- Heat oil in frying pan, preferably a non-stick skillet.
- When oil is hot, add tofu by breaking it into random size pieces about 1" x 1".
- Cook tofu without turning for about 5 minutes.
- Turn tofu and cook for about 4 more minutes on the other side.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining ingredients.
- First you put in the soy sauce and stir so as to cover all the pieces of tofu.
- Then add the nutritional yeast, spike and black pepper.
- Toss and coat all the tofu pieces.
Cut the oil back to 1 1/2 T and it was more than enough for me. The flavors all together in this are great, tho. I probably cut back on soy and salt as well but didn't really measure. I'll try this again with a firmer tofu. Yum!
THANK YOUUUUUUUU, I lived on Maui for 12 yrs. I used to eat this allll the time, been looking for the recipe for 10 yrs since I moved back to mainland. You have no idea how happy you just made me!!!!!!
I have eaten this tasty tofu at the Down To Earth delis in Honolulu- I have missed it every day since moving away from Hawaii and I am SOOO excited to find this recipe!!
It tastes just like I remember it. SO good!