Recipe by Tish
This recipe uses baked pressed tofu, a chewey, seasoned produce that makes a great stand in for chicken. You can find it at most natural food stores sold in a cellophane package.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 6 ounces short fine egg noodles
- 6 ounces baked pressed tofu, finely diced
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil slowly with 2 Tbs water in a large soup pot.
- Add the celery, carrots, garlic and onion.
- Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add 8 cups of water, bouillon cubes, seasoning mix, and dried dill.
- Bring to a simmer, then cook at gentle simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Raise the heat and bring to a more vigorous simmer.
- Add the noodles and cook at a steady simmer for 5-8 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Add the diced tofu, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve at once.
- *As the soup stands, the noodles quickly absorb the liquid.
- If you plan on having leftovers of the soup, add a cup or so of additional water before you store and adjust the seasonings.
- That way the soup can develop more flavor as it stands.