1/1 Photo of Mock Chicken Fried Steak With Milk Gravy
My mother made these for us four girls. Money was tight and she couldn't afford steak very often. These use ground beef. I use a 80/20 lean to fat. You can use ground round but it tends to be a little too dry. This is great with mashed potatoes. Everyone I have ever made it for loved it. The first time my DH had it he never knew it was ground beef. He just commented on the tenderness of the steak!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shortening or 1/4 cup oil or 1/4 cup lard (for frying)
- 1Mix 2 cups flour with salt and pepper.
- 2Shape ground beef into four thin patties.
- 3Dip patties into flour, then beaten egg, then flour again.
- 4Put shortening, oil or lard into a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- 5When a little flour sprinkled into skillet begins to sizzle, add patties.
- 6Cook for about 5 minutes per side.
- 7Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 8To make gravy:.
- 9Remove all but four tablespoons of fat from skillet.
- 10Stir in 4 tablespoons of dredging flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 11Stir, scraping up browned bits, for about one minute till light brown.
- 12Whisk in milk gradually.
- 13Whisk until thick and bubbly.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste.
- 16Stir well.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock Chicken Fried Steak With Milk Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.3
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 195.7 mg
- Sodium 346.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 37.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: