Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a low carb version of Cracker Barrel's Cheesy Hash Browns, made with spaghetti squash. It is very flavorful, with a great "comfort food" texture and a little crunch. The squash can be microwaved to save time.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom & garlic soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided into 1/4 cup and 3/4 cup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (real butter works best)
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Wash the spaghetti squash. Pierce the rind 4-5 times with a sharp knife. Place in oven-proof pan. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven until soft, 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees. (Alternatively, place pierced squash on paper-towel lined plate and microwave 10-12 minutes.).
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, slice lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Fork the squash into strands and place in buttered casserole dish.
- While squash is baking, mix together soup, sour cream, chopped onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup of cheese.
- When strands of squash have been placed into casserole dish, toss with melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (I use almost no salt as the cheese tends to be salty enough).
- Pour soup mixture over squash and stir well. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is browned.
Awesome, liked the crunchiness. Hard to find with low carb foods. Added a pinch of red pepper for some kick, but otherwise loved it. Thanks for posting!
I loved it. Spaghetti squash is usually pretty bland but this was more like potatoes than squash. It just felt really good as a low-carber to have something that really felt like comfort food. I added a little red pepper too. DH rated it "pretty good" but he doesn't like squash at all so I count that as 5 stars.
flavorful, yes....my family's cup of tea, no. Of course they were not sure about the spaghetti squash, I asked them to try with an open mind (they usually do) and they said they just didn't like the crunch of the spaghetti squash. Even hubby, who likes spaghetti squash, wasn't really wow'd by this recipe. sorry.... in the do not make again pile....