1/5 Photos of Mock Canned Pineapple Chunk or Crushed (Water Bath)
1 hr 5 mins
This is great for preserving your overabundance of summer zucchini. Nice over ice cream, in a trifle over pancakes...... Use in any way you would canned pineapple. I found no need for the extract unless you want additional flavor like coconut to make pine colada flavor.
My Private Note
8 ounce ...
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups zucchini (shredded or cubed peeled, seeds removed)
- 46 ounces canned unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups bottled lemon juice, necessary for safe canning
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- yellow food coloring, for eye appeal
- 1 -2 teaspoon coconut, extract to taste (for a pina colada effect) (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut rum (optional) or 1/2 cup pineapple rum (optional)
- 1Cube zucchini for chunk or shred for crushed pineapple. The shredded with fill less jars then chunk.
- 2Place the shredded zucchini in a strainer for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
- 3Or place the cubed zucchini in a strainer and lightly salt, toss and let sit 20 minutes. Then rinse and drain weel twice. Dry with papare towels.
- 4While the zucchini is draining place juices, sugar, salt, and food coloring in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- 5Add shredded zucchini to pot and bring back to a boil for 25 minutes. cubed zucchini for 40.
- 6Then add extract and rum if using cook for 5 more minutes.
- 7Fill hot sterilized jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- 8Remove air bubbles.
- 9Wipe jar rims.
- 10Adjust lids.
- 11Process in a boiling water bath.
- 12Half-pints or pints for 15 minutes.
- 13You should get 16 jars shredded with this recipe or 10 jar cubed.
- 14With the cubed you`ll have extra syrup left, do save it for making mixed drinks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mock Canned Pineapple Chunk or Crushed (Water Bath)
Serving Size: 1 (3632 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.6
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 36.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 76.9 g
- Protein 2.1 g