This is great for preserving your overabundance of summer zucchini. Nice over ice cream, in a trifle over pancakes...... Use in any way you would canned pineapple. I found no need for the extract unless you want additional flavor like coconut to make pine colada flavor.
- 10 cups zucchini (shredded or cubed peeled, seeds removed)
- 46 ounces canned unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups bottled lemon juice, necessary for safe canning
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- yellow food coloring, for eye appeal
- 1 -2 teaspoon coconut, extract to taste (for a pina colada effect) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut rum (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pineapple rum (optional)
- Cube zucchini for chunk or shred for crushed pineapple. The shredded with fill less jars then chunk.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a strainer for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
- Or place the cubed zucchini in a strainer and lightly salt, toss and let sit 20 minutes. Then rinse and drain weel twice. Dry with papare towels.
- While the zucchini is draining place juices, sugar, salt, and food coloring in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add shredded zucchini to pot and bring back to a boil for 25 minutes. cubed zucchini for 40.
- Then add extract and rum if using cook for 5 more minutes.
- Fill hot sterilized jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Adjust lids.
- Process in a boiling water bath.
- Half-pints or pints for 15 minutes.
- You should get 16 jars shredded with this recipe or 10 jar cubed.
- With the cubed you`ll have extra syrup left, do save it for making mixed drinks.