Recipe by Shelley Lee
Need a quick dessert, like a yummy apple crisp, but no apples on hand? Made in the tradition of the Ritz Mock Apple Pie, you have everything in your pantry for this no-crust crisp. It's a brain twister - tastes like the real thing!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 30 -40 Ritz crackers
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 20 Ritz crackers, roughly crushed for topping
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar, for topping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for topping
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 and butter a 2 quart casserole.
- For Filling: Combine water, white sugar, and cream of tartar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Roughly break 30-40 Ritz crackers into buttered casserole, scatter evenly. Pour sugar mixture over crackers. Sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon juice.
- For Topping: Mix together 20 crushed Ritz crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 10 minutes at 425. Reduce heat to 375 and continue to bake 15-20 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown and filling is no longer jiggly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.